Thursday, October 9, 2008

Rainbow surprise

I thought I'd do a quick knitting update while Mr. Malcolm is still sleeping... exactly 6 weeks ago I started a Baby Surprise Jacket out of beautiful Koigu multicolored sock yarn (Rav link). I'm at the point where the pattern's author, Elizabeth Zimmermann, says "Work will start to look very odd, indeed, but trust me, and PRESS ON". It certainly doesn't look much like a sweater yet:


Until you flip it over (so the working stitches are on the bottom), fold up one sleeve...


And then the other....and it starts to look cardiganish (baby's head goes at the top)! I need to find some wee buttons and hope that the garter stitch will have enough stretch to make it wearable for a decent amount of time... though first I have to finish the thing... OK, he's still sleeping, maybe I can get another row in!

Next up will be a special holiday something made from worsted yarn from a local dyer. Who I actually met at knitting group last week (and dang, didn't make it to group this week due to the aforementioned cranky fussy sleepiness, and me forgetting it is Thursday!). My knitting goals for the rest of the year are not high, just this jacket and a couple of Christmas gifts. But yikes, it's mid-October already! Only 2.5 knitting months til Christmas!

No comments: