Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Quick note from Phoenix


So, I made a fairly last-minute trip to Phoenix (Chandler, to be exact) for work, and wanted to note that a direct flight from PDX to PHX was exactly the right amount of time to knit one (1) tank top strap from the Cabled Tank Top that I am working on from the Spring/Summer KnitSimple magazine. Mind you, this was my first ever cabling, so I was pretty proud to initiate it at takeoff, squashed in a middle seat between a couple of rather grumpy seeming folks.

It's so cool how the cable emerges - after the first one I was convinced that I had done something wrong, but pressed on, and it all became clear. What most knitting books don't seem to show is how the fabric really is doubled around the cable, and how much the width pulls in compared to an equivalent number of plain stitches.

Pictures later - I didn't bring the camera on this trip! I'm flying back tomorrow afternoon, and expect to have the second strap done and be working the front body by the end of the flight!

Edited to add a the picture from the magazine - this is what I've been working on, but in glacier blue "2nd time cotton". Ain't the cable nifty?


No comments: