Monday, October 29, 2007

Multidirectional Diagonal Scarf - finished (last month...)

I figure I have enough things to post about to try to do at least 3 posts this week, so I'll continue to clear up the blogging of my recent knitting.

I blogged here about (among other things) the Noro Silk Garden Multidirectional Diagonal Scarf I was making for a charity auction at work. Well I finished it on time, have pictures, and and proud to say that it made more money than the yarn cost, which has to be at least the minimum goal. Not too much more, mind you - big moneywinners in that auction seem to be apple picking with G***** M****, a former CEO and major name in the field (how many people have a "law" named after them?); as well as the ubiquitous "front row parking spot for a year" which seems to go for several hundred dollars at many campuses but isn't offered at mine (we're too practical at my campus...)

Anyway... here are a couple of pictures!

Note the lovely afghan on which this is modeling... a Mom special of course (the largest thing I've knit so far would be my felted bag...)


As for the picture.. ignore the odd fuzziness of the model, aka me... it was raining out and hard to get the lighting conditions right. I ended up tweaking the contrast a bit to make the scarf colors look more true-to-life, which ended up making me look a bit paler-than-life

All in all - a fairly quick, easy knit, definitely recommended if you have a self-striping or variegated yarn with fairly long color changes. The Silk Garden did end up coming out softer in the wash, though the mohair still had a bit of itch to it. And all the hay washed out :)

4 comments:

picperfic said...

glad you got it finished in time, looks like a very beautiful accessory! Where is the pattern from?

lhd said...

love the scarf, I may have to try one sometime. fyo -- the afghan is inside out (that doesn't sound right) backward anyway, so all my lovely cable work doesn't show.........which may have been the point, it would be too busy a background. keep on knitting, yer ma is proud!

Alison said...

Yup - inside-out to make a better background. I'll post a pic of its cables in all their glory, if you like (actually, a pic of LHD-knits that are floating around the house would be nice - afghan, 2 of my sweaters, 2 pairs of socks, and fingerless gloves. Too bad about Andy's sweater whose blue yarn turned orange from leaning on the heater!).

Picperfic - the scarf pattern is here. I definitely recommend it!

pdm said...

I am a new knitter and am really all turned around over this pattern. The first 3 triangles went well- I worked until I SSK-ed the last 2 stitches and then I started over at Row 1 of the SHort Row section (per the instructions). I left the needles where they were and just started the first Short Row. The scarf grew longer (as a scarf should) for the first 3 triangles. But, with the 4th, I realizied that it was growing out the side and the scarf was becoming L shaped. I don't see who this can be avoided unless I bind off and pick up stitches right where I want the scarf to grow. But this is not in the directions. I must be doing something wrong. I had great fun knitting it (up until this point,anyway) I am using a Noro yarn and the shadings are perfect for the patten. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

THANKS