Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Fall into Autumn Dishcloth Swap!


So, I've joined my first online knitting swaparoo thingy! It's for dishcloths, which means I get to go to a yarn store (or several - there are a ton in Portland that I haven't been to yet), fondle some cottons, pick a neat pattern, and knit something up for a swappee by the end of October (staying anonymous as I ask her questions on her blog about what kind of dishcloth she would like, and what other goodies should be included in the package). And someone will be doing the same for me. So to elucidate my dishcloth preferences, here are the answers to the mandatory questionnaire required for the swap:

1. Do you knit or crochet? How long have you been doing it?
I knit, just since January this year.

2. Have you made dishcloths before? Do you use them yourself, give them as gifts, or both?
Nope, never made one, but I've made scarfs, hats, a tank top, a bag... I am looking forward to using them as actual dishcloths/kitchen towels - the ones we have are getting a bit ratty.

3. What's your favorite cotton to make cloths from? What cotton would you like to try that you haven't before ?
Since I haven't made any before, I dunno. My SIL gave me a skein of Araucania 'Pomaire' for my birthday in March, and a I enjoyed making a little lacy bag
from it - it's nice and soft. That's the only 100% cotton I've yet used. I'll have to consult experts whether it would be appropriate for a dishcloth. So I'd love to try either the "classic" dishcloth yarns, or anything interesting and unique

4. If you knit, do you prefer circular or straight needles? For all, do you prefer wooden, metal, or plastic needles?
I tend to use circulars - with a fair amount of prompting, my husband got me a set of Knitpicks Options for my birthday (yes, it was a knitty birthday) and I love how smooth the metal needles are, and how convenient they are for doing things like Magic Loop socks. I use them for flat knitting too.

5. What are your favorite colors? Any colors you don't like much?
I'm not big into pastels - I prefer deeper or more saturated colors. Blues and greens are my favorites but I've been known to wear purples and oranges reasonably often. Favorite fall colors - browns, forest greens, dusky blues, crimsons, with accents of bright red and orange. Basically, I like most colors except pastels and maybe neons.

6. What do you like best about Autumn?
When living and going to school on the east coast, this answer would have been easy - the crisp in the air, the feeling of anticipation (new school year, new classes, football season for those of us in the college marching band..), the leaves turning. Here in Oregon, in the workforce, with no school ties - the seasons are more muted, and autumn means anticipation of the rainy season. But after a hot, bright summer, the gathering clouds can feel familiar and comfortable. Mist gathers on the fields in the morning on the drive to work. The lawn greens up. Mount Hood turns bright white (instead of dirty-glacier-grey) after the first rainstorm - but I won't notice for a few days because of obscuring clouds. Apple picking in Hood River. And of course, our anniversary - September 14th, 5 years this year! - starts it off.


7. Pies: Pumpkin? Apple? Pecan? All of em? or No Thanks!
Yum! Any fruit except Pecan - the usual version (mostly corn syrup) is too sweet for me. I especially like a nice spicy apple or pumpkin pie. If both are offered, I'll take a slice of each :) Oh, and as a nice twist, my mom's "apple pie cake". Yum!

8. When you were a kid, were you the one who couldn't wait to get started with school , or the one who overslept on the 1st day?
Heh. I was an academic until 4.5 years ago - college, grad school, the works. I enjoyed school and couldn't wait to get started. And I do miss that, sometimes.

9. Do you celebrate Halloween? (The real key here guys is especially knowing if you have an aversion to the holiday or little goodies/decorations associated with it, given the timeframe of the swap)
We don't usually dress up or party, but we do buy excessive amounts of candy to give away, and then are forced (forced, I tell you!) to eat the leftovers. I have a few Halloween decor type items, but not many. We're not really decor people. Goodies are great, though!

10. If you had to choose just 3 edible 'goodies' to eat for a full year, what 3 would you choose?
Hm, that's hard. Let's categorize: Chocolate, citrus, and what the heck, apple pie cake. So probably dark dark chocolate bars, lemon-mint gelato, and apple pie cake (hot, with cream). Mmmmm.

11. Do you have any pets? Kids? Husbands who seem like kids? ;)
One husband, two cats (they are both bad and good, as most cats are), no kids.

12. If you were to describe a particular yarn that shares traits of your personality, what would it be and why?
Hm, I'm going to stick to yarns I've actually knitted with, rather than just drooled over on the internet. I'd say K1C2's Second Time Cotton
(from which I made a tank top) - it's practical, ecologically minded, a blend of natural and manmade (I love nature but I am a scientist by training and an engineer by profession), and comes in some interesting, variegated colors (well, I'm not actually variegated in color, but I like to think I'm interesting :)

13. Do you use your cloths mostly for dishcloths, or as facecloths?
I think I'd use them as dishcloths. Dishtowels, really, though don't feel obligated to knit something long - I am planning to keep a stash of facecloths for guests who like that sort of thing.

14. Favorite Fall Holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving and why? (Feel free to share another fall memory if you do not celebrate either of these holidays)
Thanksgiving! What could be better than a big, happy family gathering (or the occasional intimate one: just me, hubby, the cats and the turkey) with great and copious food? Halloween candy is nice and all, but having grown up, I can, after all, buy a candy bar any time I feel like it (I think this is one of the clear boundaries of adulthood, when you realize this but also realize that you don't often feel like a candy bar any more).

15. Do you have any allergies or aversions your pal should know about?
I can't wear scented lotions on my face, though on my hands/body is fine and fun. With scented soaps, hands/body are fine, and a few scented soaps are OK on the face, but not if they're heavy or "perfumey". I love bright scents, especially citrus, ginger, and mint. Sometimes vanilla, but only if it's clean and not heavy. Don't tend to like flowery ones or typical perfumes. And I don't do candles :)


Wow, this also turned into quite the treatise (it was supposed to be a break from Japan blogging - part II of that soon, I promise!). Sorry about that!

6 comments:

GirlyWithATwist said...

Hello from Hillsboro!!! Found you on the dishcloth swap.

KT said...

Yay swaps! Although it did throw me to see you listed as "Alison R."... somehow even after 5 years (and, after all, I was there) I still think of you as Alison D. Don't tell Andy. Of course, if I thought of Andy as Andy D. it would probably be worse! :) KT

Anita said...

Hi from Coastal NC! Found you at the Dishcloth swap.... I saw that you have some malabrigo yarn for a bag of some sort, I just finished a bag with malabrigo!! It was soooooo soft, almost a shame to felt it!! :) You will love that yarn! I will try to get photos of my new bag posted to my blog tomorrow if you want to see what it looks like.
Anita M.
http://yarndemonadventures.blogspot.com/

CraftCache said...

Hi! Its my first swap too!~ So excited to meet people so close to me (Atlanta)
Hugs

Anonymous said...

I love swaps! I am sure you will have a great time.

Anita said...

Hi Alison, got those photos of the bag posted if you want to look.... getting started on the swap now, looks like we are going to have lots of fun with this thing! Anita