Saturday, July 28, 2007

KT swatch - before felting

So about a week ago I finished the swatch for the KT collaboration tote, but then fell into reading the final Harry Potter as my recreation after our guests left. Since I finished that last night (and it was goooood), I have time to post and felt!

Here's the swatch before felting. Both pics are in afternoon sun - first on our lattice iron table out front of the house, and then with the rosebushes for comparison.

Cast on: 30 stitches
Knit pattern (RS): K2, P2, 6-stitch cable (NB I think) every 6th row, P2, K to end (18 sts)
WS: K the Ks, P the Ps

33 rows, not counting CO or BO

Total width: 7.25"
Total height: 6.5" (guess I didn't get it quite square!)

total width of (left side) StSt section: a hair under 5"
StSt gauge: ~3.5 st/inch

Total width of P2, 6-stitch cable, P2: ~2 1/8"

Weight (on cheap kitchen scale scale): ~15 grams. Not too accurate, since the scale is designed for more.
Remaining yarn's weight: ~76 grams. Yikes! It's always surprising how light yarn is! I'm open to doing the strap from another yarn if we run out of this one...

Observations on colors - it came out a bit "camo", which isn't surprising for variegated greens, I guess. It might be interesting to knit it in the round to spread out the colors a little more. I do like the colors - they are significantly richer in person than it looks on the screen.

I just felted it and it's drying now - second installment tonight or tomorrow morning! A preview - it felted down a lot, and is much less tall now! And the cable is almost gone :(

No comments: