Friday, July 20, 2007

Begin Travelling Cable Pattern

Here I will attempt to document the cabled tank top that I mentioned in a previous post. This tank top has been halfway around the world with me (and all I need is to seam it up now - someone, please, make me do it!)

It was cast on in a tent on the slopes of Mt. St. Helens in the rain (pardon the wonky picture, 2 nights camping in the rain and one's hair is not at its best...). The back was straight stockinette and knit up reasonably fast:


And, then, as mentioned before, I learned to cable for the front on a flight to AZ. I didn't have the camera on the flight, but here's a shot of a finished strap:








It languished as two straps connected by a couple of rows for a while...

And then I packed it up and took it to Japan on a business trip! Let me say, a 10-hour plane ride each way is a great incentive to for getting knitting done!

Here we are near the beginning of the flight over...




And after the flight, in the hotel in Japan. See the progress! I wasn't sure whether it was sizing out OK, so I overlaid it on a tank top I had brought with me...


I have more Japan (and Japan knitting!) stories, but on the tank top, the end of the story is... finished on the plane ride back! I don't have a picture, but I had to break into a 4th skein of yarn for about the last 2 inches, and I hadn't wound that one into a ball. Since I was jammed in the window seat next to an old-ish Japanese gentleman who only got up twice (on a 9-hour-flight!), I didn't really have space to wind it, so just tried to unravel from the hank as I went. Of course, I ended up with a huge tangle, and the last two inches of tank top involved sotto voce swearing, yanking out about 2 feet at a time, and probably confusing the heck out of my seatmate. In total, I watched something like 9 movies and knit a whole bunch (including on the trains to and from Tokyo) - knitting is definitely a great travelling hobby! And I was quite amused that part of the instructions was, indeed, "begin travelling cable pattern" :)
PS - if anyone has any idea why the cable on the right (actually a cable-needle-to-front cable, as the tank is knit from the top down) seems to have a lot more dimpling than the one on the left (needle-to-back), let me know. I'm sure my tension is off in some way. I like the look of the needle-to-back one better...

3 comments:

lhd said...

(Actually lois hanssen DAVIS said.... don't know what happened to Davis, but it's been in my name for 35 + years!)

Your mother says "sew that up!" However, I have tons of stuff not sewn up, so I might not be the best roll model........I am delighted to see you have picked up the needles, thank you for the cute little bag I took to Africa -- and North Dakota. Your work looks great, I can't wait to see more of it in person...keep on knitting...............mom

Alison said...

Well, if my MOM tells me to sew it up, I guess I should! :) Maybe tomorrow, after the crew has left (red-eye flight tonight) and before the Decemberists concert we're attending. Ooh, I could even wear it to the concert!

lhd said...

hamburger, dinner, cinnamon......man, I can't believe I said "roll model" and I can't figure out how to edit it! The top looks very cute, can't wait to see a picture of you wearing it.